Saturday, March 24, 2012

Do I qualify to join Singapore Airlines as a lady cadet pilot?

Do I qualify to join Singapore Airlines as a lady cadet pilot?
Pilot Career Female Pilots
Sunday, 17 August 2008 22:21
Dear Capt Lim,

Hello there! I am Caroline (not real name) and my dad was a captain with Singapore Airlines on the Boeing 744 fleet, Capt Roy (not real name)
I have always wanted to be a pilot too. However, I have all the odds stacked against me. For my first my education, I have 5 O-Levels but not in one sitting. I have English Language, Pure Chemistry, Pure Physics, Geography and Mathematics. However, I scored a D7 for Mathematics and I have mother tongue in another certificate. I then did my foundation in Life Sciences which also has a Mathematic module in it to prepare students for a B Sc course. I have cleared all modules and progressed to the degree program. I am currently completing my degree in Biomedical Sciences.
Next is my height and vision. I am 1.45 meters tall and I am partially color blind (red-green) though it's not as severe as I have my driving license. I do not seem to meet most of the prerequisites listed, 5 O's in one sitting and a minimum height of 1.65m.
Does that height apply for women too? What about my color vision defect? I have knowledge on aircraft.
Caroline
Hi Caroline,
Looking at the SIA Cadet Pilot requirements you are unlikely to qualify for the appointment as you may not satisfy the educational and height criteria listed below (2 & 3).
  1. Singapore Citizen, Singapore Permanent Resident or Malaysian Citizen
  2. GCE ‘A' level, Polytechnic Diploma or Degree. In addition, you must have obtained a minimum of 5 Credits in the GCE ‘O' level or its equivalent. These must include English, Mathematics and a Science subject, preferably Physics, taken at one sitting
  3. At least 1.65 m in height
  4. Visual acuity of at least 6/60, correctable to 6/6.  For candidates who have undergone corrective eye surgery (e.g. Lasik), your pre-surgical visual acuity should not be more than 500 degrees (myopia)
  5. Medically fit
The issues of education, height, vision and other requirements are also covered in my site as well as in the Forums. Please do a search there or participate in the Singapore Airline Forum.
The main Singapore Airlines does not employ lady pilots but, if successful, you are likely to be offered employment with SilkAir, one of the companies in the SIA Group.
To clear any doubt that you may have, I suggest that you nevertheless proceed here to access the SIA recruitment system. For your application to be successful, you must complete the assessment portion once you have started to fill it in. Submit your application and wait for the official response.
If you experience any technical difficulties or problems during the online application, please send a mail with a description of the problem to 
Cadetpilot_SIAGroup@singaporeair.com.sg
.
Taken From: 
http://www.askcaptainlim.com/-female-pilots-pilot-43/809-do-i-qualify-to-join-singapore-airlines-as-a-lady-cadet-pilot.html

No comments:

Post a Comment